Summer means strawberries. And chocolate. And chocolate covered strawberries. And…
– Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour 2 ramekins and set atop the stove to warm.
– In a small bowl, mix together:
3/8 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/16 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/12 cup oil
1/4 tsp white vinegar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cold water
– Bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
While baking, in a small sauce pan, add:
1/4 c. freshly pureed strawberries
1 Tb marsala, vin santo, muscat or cream sherry: whatever you have on hand
1/12 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. grated lemon peel
(*I didn’t have strawberries, but I did have this amazing strawberry/pineapple summer jam my mum had made for me. You can substitute jam for the berries, just don’t add the sugar.)
– Simmer over medium-low heat until sauce is reduced by half, stirring often, about 5-10 minutes. Cool. (Sauce can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate the remainder.)
– Pop a cake out of a ramekin while still warm, and serve with the strawberry sauce, a dusting of powdered sugar, or even some cream/ creamer on top.